The festive season is just around the corner, and it also means that we will probably find ourselves in the kitchen, cooking up a storm, a lot more often… here’s a great stash busting sewing tutorial for oven mitts to help to get you ready.
These also make really great gifts, so why not work your way through your stash and make pairs for friends and family too.
What you will need
- A5 sheet of paper, a ruler and a pencil for creating your pattern
- +-30” / 75cm of woven, cotton ribbon or bias binding (for the edging)
- 10” / 25cm width of fabric at least 30” / 75cm long
- Quilting / padding / thick fleece / insulated batting (for the inner heatproof padding) 10” / 25cm width by 6” / 15cm length
- On your piece of paper, trace out a rectangle that is 20cm x 12cm / 8” x 5”. Draw a line down the center of your pattern.
- In one corner, draw a curved edge.
- Cut out your pattern. Fold it in half, and then in half again (so that it’s a quarter) and cut all 4 corners along the curved corner you had previously made
- Cut out your fabric. Cut four sections of fabric using the full pattern. Cut out 4 sections of fabric using half the pattern.
- Use two sections of the fabric to cut out your padding. (creating the inner side of your mitts)
- On your four half sections, along the edge without curved corners, sew a hem by folding your fabric to the wrong side by 1cm / 3/8”. Fold over a second time and stitch flat.
- Take the half sections and place them on top of a full section (wrong side of half section against right side of full sections. (creating the outer side of your mitts)
- Pin these to the fabric sections you had used to cut out your padding (wrong side against padding) so that you are sandwiching all the layers together. Stitch all the sections together, joining all of your fabric and padding sections together.
- Measure out two sections of ribbon / bias binding, 10cm / 4” long. With it folded in half, stitch it closed.
- Fold this ribbon section in half and baste it to one of the corners of your oven mitts, on the outer side.
- Sew your ribbon / bias binding, right side against outer section of mitt, as close to the edge as possible.
- Fold over the raw edges and using a small zigzag stitch, sew your binding edges flat.
Your brand new oven mitts are now ready to use!